Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server (trendnet TE100-P21) - Client Side Rendering proivder

Lot of people are having problem connecting a vista pc to a hardware printer server. I just finished dealing with it today.

The printer I wanted to print to is a brother HL-5240 - It is connected via usb to Trendnet TE100-P21 (hardware print server) with a ip of 192.168.1.200 named printserver. The port where the brother printer is connected is named Laser_brother.

All my windows XP computers print to this printer without any problem.

My first try :

On my VISTA PC browser,: THE WRONG WAY - Got Failed Result.

1- Clic Add Printer or I typed \\192.168.1.200 (shh not forward slash please- it is a network device - so you can browse your network it you don't want type the ip addres)

2- Clic Add Network Printer
3- Clic Laser_brother on printserver (my trendnet printerserver and port name)
4- oh lala, You will receive the following message : " Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network".
What wrong with this message, I did not even type the message, it came from the print server and I know for fact that my printer is on and working - all my xp computers are using it.
You can try any other methode and probably, it will failed.

here is the solution.

2ND TRY : THE SOLUTION - success

1- go to xp browser and type : \\printserver or \\192.168.1.200 i.e network browse to your printserver device.

2- double clic on the printer you want to install - You will receive a message stating that " windows cannot connect to the printer .....

3.- Close that stupid windows and now go back to the add printer windows.

4- clic on add printer
5- add local printer
6- clic Use an existing port
7- Select \\192.168.1.200\laser_Brother (CLIENT RENDERING SIDE PROVIDER)
8- ok and you are done - You can now print.


NOTE : YOU NEED TO CHOOSE CLIENT RENDERING SIDE PROVIDER - It is the key of the problem.

No comments: