Saturday, September 4, 2010

RemoteApp disconnected - The client could not connect - Remote desktop

I installed RemoteApp from Terminal Server and Distribute the application to all users. But one of the users who work from home (Remote worker - Location: idaho) is experiencing some weird problem.

When he clicked on the Famous software (remote Apps), he receive the message
"The client could not connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established".

After 30 minutes of troubleshooting, I discovered the cause of the problem and I wanted to share the solution with my audience.

The problem was that the user home network subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 same as my office network and worse his computer has the same ip address as my terminal server 192.168.1.2 -

so when the vpn to our network, the remoteApps is confuse about the exact location of the terminal server because the 192.168.1.2 is belong the host iniated the connection.

To fix the problem without causing too much pain to my users, I changed the user computer IP adddress from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.55 (a ramdom number) and voila the remoteApps work and the client was able to access famous software (it is our accounting software).

But the best way to fix this problem and the one I will recommend is to change the subnet address of the user home network. For example, give it the subnet address of 10.10.10.0/24 if not used in your organization.

Thanks

No comments: