Friday, December 7, 2007

Error 1327. invalid Drive E:\

Today, Jeff, the owner of a yakima based business asked if I could help him with his computer.

Each time, Jeff try to install a software in his system, He receive the message : "Error 1327. invalid Drive E:\ ".

My troubleshooting process :
1- I checked if Jeff has a drive E:\
(right clic my computer, manage, disk management ) - Jeff has only one disk c:\

2- I run regedit to see if there any ref in the registry for drive e:\
I find couple ref to drive e:\
I know now the problem.

3- I fixed the problem by running "find e:\" in the registry and replace all ref of e:\ to c:\

4- I tested by installing Itunes and it went without the error message.

In short, if you have this kind of problems, do this :

In regedit, click on My Computer to highlight it, click Edit and choose Find... In the 'Find what' box type in E:\ (or whichever letter your error is showing) and click Find next. If there is a path with the letter anywhere in your system, it will find it. When you find it, right click on the name of the setting and choose Modify. When the modification window opens, you can change the drive letter. Once you've made the change, click OK

PLEASE - DO NOT FORGET TO EXPORT THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGE. It is a dangerous game to notify the registry setting.

No comments: