Friday, January 16, 2009

SanDisk Ultra II Flash memory card on cisco 2801



I am happy today that my cisco 2801 is working again.

Yesterday, I had a power outage and my cisco 2801 went crazy. It booted only on rommonitor mode. I restarted it couple time and still the same.

I tried to xmodem a new IOS to the flash but without success and so I decided to ymodem.

The Ymodem worked, the ios was now in my DRAM but I figured out fast that the cisco compact flash was gone. I couldn't format it.

So, I decided to use a different cisco compact flash drive (64mb). The new flash worked fine and I was able to boot in normal mode.

I was happy but the battle wasn't over. I am using this cisco 2801 as my CME for my CCNA VOICE LAB. So, 64mb of compact flash wasn't enough.

Here is the good part. I decided to try the SANDISK ULTRA II flash card.

I went at officemax and find one, a 1GB for only $19.99 - I decided also to buy a 5in1 card reader.

steps:
1- plug the card reader in my pc and insert the sandisk ultra II compact flash in the reader

2- format the card using FAT16 (ATTENTION : You MUST format this card as FAT16)

3- copy my ios file from my pc to the flash card (I am still in my pc - just drag and drop)- The IOS I use is : c2801-adventerprisek9-mz.124-20.bin

4- format a usb flash drive (FAT16)- It is a 1gb usb flash drive- and copy the cme-full-4.3.0.0. tar and the IOS c2801-adventerprisek9-mz.124-20.bin
THIS STEP is not required - but it make things easier.

5- Power down the cisco 2801 and insert the usb flash drive and the SANDISK ULTRA II flash memory card.

6- Power on the cisco 2801, the boot process will take longuer than usual - just be patient.

7- You are now back in business, your cisco router should boot now normally.

8- Because I am using my cisco 2801 as my cme, I tranfered all my cme to the flash.

from the router prompt (in priv mode), type

Router# archive tar /xtract usbflash0:/cme-full-4.3.0.tar flash

As you noticed, I xtract my file from USB flash drive (that is why I have step 4)- The transfer is way much faster than using the tftp server.

and VOILA, everything work like a charm. I save hundred of box -

So, why cisco compact flash so expensive?

Important : IT DOESN'T WORK WITH A 2GB COMPACT FLASH.

5 comments:

Flame 0n said...

epic fail. I got a 1g sandisk ultra II, followed the directions, and my 2801 wont boot with the sandisk at all.

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

hutesThis worked like a charm for me.
My gear: Cisco 2801
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
IOS: is c2801-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-24.T1.bin

PaulS said...

Doesn't work for me either :-(
System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Tech Support ....
Copyright ....
PLD Version 0x0f
GIO FPGA version 0x128

On reboot with sandisk 1G Ultra II just hangs at this point
Formatted with FAT16

Any Clues Welcome

Cheers

Unknown said...

Hi Guys, that worked for me.
I only had a 64MB Cisco flash card, and cisco upgrade was way too expensive for me, so did the Sandisk trick.
Booted up my router with cisco FC, then inserted my USB stick, removed the Cisco FC - inserted 1G Sandisk - formatted it - then - copied files & Xtracted tar files to it.
My 2801 working fine.
No errors, no problems
Thankyou very much indeed for that excellent tip.
Now onto coding for my ephones etc...
cheers

Mike